Recent Posts

Introducing Cerys Swales

10 Things You Might Not Know About Me...


1 Out of 4

I am the eldest of 4 Swales children, I have one brother and two sisters, William who is 17, Phoebe who is 14 and Evie who is 9. There is a 10 year age gap between Evie (the youngest) and I which definitely has its advantages, it gives me an excuse to watch any 'kids' film or TV programme with absolutely no judgement, we particularly enjoy a Barbie film or two. Needless to say, our house is never really quiet but that's just one of the reasons I love coming from a big family. I just couldn't imagine growing up without having people around me to play with at any time or more likely, just argue with. Even if they do get on my nerves sometimes (mainly William, got to give him some credit, he has truly mastered the role of annoying brother) or try to push me out of my own bedroom (Yes, I'm talking to you Phoebe) I wouldn't change them for the world.


Cello... You got a Bass!

When I was younger I just LOVED music, I tried to learn absolutely every musical instrument I had the chance to get my hands on. I attempted the recorder, violin, piano, guitar and even the harp for a while. Even though I absolutely loved it, unfortunately the nearest teacher was a 40 minute drive from my house, so I ultimately had to quit. Eventually I settled for the Cello, which I played from around the age of 7 up until I was 15 and I reached grade 7. I did some amazing things with my school orchestras both in primary and secondary school. We got to compete in various competitions and perform all over the country. Every few years we even had the opportunity to tour parts of Europe (admittedly it was more of a holiday than a professional trip but still fun either way). However, I felt a lot of pressure in school around the time of my GCSE's and just didn't have the same passion for playing anymore so felt like it had turned into a waste of my time. I do sometimes regret quitting as I do think it's an amazing thing to be able to play an instrument beautifully and fluently, and I have a lot of respect for those people that do as it requires a great deal of commitment and discipline that I just don't have.


A Taste for Textiles

In secondary school, Textiles was without a doubt my favourite subject. I loved the freedom of it, you could just design and make anything you could dream up. I would always be the one who was perhaps a bit too keen in class and actually took it seriously and wanted to work, whereas everyone else treated it as a chilled free lesson. Seems silly now but I was so proud of everything I made, from a little strawberry beanie hat up to a nautical themed cushion, I'd designed everything from scratch and I think that's probably where my love for creating stemmed from. I went on to do GCSE Textiles too which I loved even more as we got to study current fashion designers and how their style and collections had evolved through time. I was absolutely devastated when I found out that my Sixth Form did not offer Textiles or even Design as an A Level, I even considered going to the local college instead so I could continue to study fashion. In all honesty, I don't think I could tell you if I made the right decision or not, but I am sure that if I had continued to study textiles past GCSE, my current career path and life choices could have been very different.

Explorer?... Not so much

I have never been outside of Europe. I have been very lucky in my life so far to have been able to go on many amazing holidays and trips both with my family and otherwise. However, I do tend to revisit the same few countries multiple times and just explore different areas. Although I still get to see new things and have new experiences, its not quite the same as exploring a completely new country and their unique culture. Even though I would love to travel outside of Europe in the near future, I am desperate to go to New York, there are still so many places left both in Europe and even some cities in the UK that I need to see. Here are my top 5 places that I want to explore at the moment:
  1. New York
  2. Reykjavik
  3. The Maldives
  4. Amsterdam
  5. Edinburgh


Exam Anxiety

I've always considered myself as reasonably academic, but unfortunately I really don't cope well with exams. I feel quite confident when I'm doing coursework as I can take my time, within reason,  without feeling that overwhelming pressure you get when sitting in an exam hall. As a self confessed perfectionist, I find it really hard to just move on to the next question when I know my answer for the current question I'm working on isn't quite right or finished yet. Therefore, I'd always end up missing out a huge chunk at the end of the question paper and consequently not performing as well as I potentially could. Thankfully I now do a course in university which is 100% coursework based so strangely, even though it's arguably way more work than I've ever had to do before, I feel far less overwhelmed when I compare it to how stressed I was during my A level exams.  

Wannabe Entrepreneur

As I'm sure I made clear in my previous blog post, Put A Ring On It... My Ever Expanding Jewellery Collection, I have always been slightly obsessed with all things Jewellery. When I was about 13 - 14, I taught myself how to make various pieces of jewellery and considered myself as quite the little business woman so started my own handmade jewellery business, Cerys' Creations (I was 13 you'll have to excuse the awful name). Never doing anything by halves, I designed my own little logo using word art (A true classic) and a set of business cards so I was ready to go, I ordered 500, in hindsight I might have been a little optimistic. It was surprisingly successful, I did a few jewellery parties with family friends and used to sell at craft fairs and in the staff room at my secondary school. Not only did I sell my own designs but I also repaired any jewellery I could and even took a few custom orders. I used to love spotting the few people around my local village who were wearing my designs but unfortunately it became too time consuming to continue making jewellery when I had upcoming exams to revise for.

Head Girl

There's not really much else to say other than when I was 10 I was elected Head Girl of my primary school, yes primary school, even more humiliating. At the time I thought it was the most important job I could have, I thought I'd make loads of really important decisions and make my school a far better place. My mum even sent me flowers in school to congratulate me, slightly embarrassing. In reality of course there is only so much influence a 10 year old can have on their own education so my role in the school was pretty much just to wear a badge, have my picture taken at school events and attempt to convince my classmates I had some sort of authority.

I Can't Drive

Yes, I still have to carry that pathetic green provisional license in my purse. I am 20 this year and I've still never even sat in the drivers seat of a car, let alone attempted to drive one. My brother William only turned 17 a few months ago and has already got his own car, passed his theory and is doing his practical test very soon. Some people would say it is embarrassing that my younger sibling is driving before me, I would probably agree with you but on the other hand, I have managed to go three years without paying for a car, insurance, and fuel so who's the real winner? On a serious note though, I am genuinely terrified of driving. I just think I am going to be awful so its probably best for me to keep off the road as long as possible and avoid endangering any lives, including my own. 

 Camera Shy

Now this is a little bit misleading as I do actually love taking pictures and the average person would probably say I take way too many pictures of myself. Selfies, I'm completely fine with as I'm in control, I can see what I look like, I can control the lighting and the angle and capture my best side. Ironically though, despite just starting a fashion blog on which I've promised to share pictures of my outfits and what I do and wear in my day to day life, I actually hate having my picture taken by other people. I know its vain, I just think that I come across a lot better in selfies and find it very uncomfortable to know what to stand or pose like when I can't see what I'm doing. Thats why you won't see many pictures of me that aren't selfies, and on the rare occasion someone else does take a picture of me, I'm usually in the middle of a group so I can cover myself up a bit and look less awkward.

Stuck in the 00s'

So my taste in music is a little outdated, my favourite playlist resembles something I would've listened to at a primary school disco, everyone knows a party isn't a party until 'Murder on the Dance Floor' by Sophie Ellis-Bextor makes an appearance. I do occasionally listen to Radio 1 and the charts but other than that I just listen to the albums I grew up with, its nostalgic but also a little bit sad. Keane - Hopes & Fears released in 2004, is my all time favourite album, and I'm still not bored of it 13 years later. I received Sara Bareilles - Little Voice for my 10th birthday and it still features some of my favourite songs. Some of the other classic 00s' artists I embarrassingly listen to are Avril Lavigne, Katie Melua and Kelly Clarkson. So if you're every hosting a 00s' party and need a good playlist, I'm your girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment